1 marked by firm determination or resolution; not shakable; "firm convictions"; "a firm mouth"; "steadfast resolve"; "a man of unbendable perseverence"; "unwavering loyalty" [syn: steadfast, steady, unbendable, unfaltering, unshakable, unwavering]
2 not soft or yielding to pressure; "a firm mattress"; "the snow was firm underfoot"; "solid ground" [syn: solid]
3 strong and sure; "a firm grasp"; "gave a strong pull on the rope" [syn: strong]
4 not subject to revision or change; "a firm contract"; "a firm offer"
5 (of especially a person's physical features) not shaking or trembling; "his voice was firm and confident"; "a firm step"
6 not liable to fluctuate or especially to fall; "stocks are still firm" [syn: steady, unfluctuating]
7 securely established; "an established reputation"; "holds a firm position as the country's leading poet" [syn: established]
8 marked by the tone and resiliency of healthy tissue; "firm muscles"
9 pleasingly firm and fresh and making a crunching noise when chewed; "crisp carrot and celery sticks"; "a firm apple"; "crunchy lettuce" [syn: crisp, crunchy]
10 securely fixed in place; "the post was still firm after being hit by the car" [syn: fast, immobile]
11 unwavering in devotion to friend or vow or cause; "a firm ally"; "loyal supporters"; "the true-hearted soldier...of Tippecanoe"- Campaign song for William Henry Harrison; "fast friends" [syn: loyal, truehearted, fast(a)] n : members of a business organization that owns or operates one or more establishments; "he worked for a brokerage house" [syn: house, business firm] adv : with resolute determination; "we firmly believed it"; "you must stand firm" [syn: firmly, steadfastly, unwaveringly]
1 become taut or tauter; "Yur muscles will firm when you exercise regularly"; "the rope tautened" [syn: tauten]
2 make taut or tauter; "tauten a rope" [syn: tauten]
Etymology 1From and firma, the title or signature of a company.
fixed (in opinions)
- Greek: αμετακίνητος
solid, rigid (material state)
Firm or The Firm can have several meanings:
- Any business entity such as a corporation, partnership or sole proprietorship. This more general meaning is used in macroeconomics (in terms such as ideal firm size).
- The word firm is sometimes used in a more restrictive sense to refer to a business group of professionals, such as law firm, architectural firm, securities/financial firm (such as private equity), or consulting firm. This use can be seen in phrases such as white shoe firm. Contrast with sole practitioner.
- British slang phrase for a criminal gang or football hooligans (see list of hooligan firms).
- Organizations called The Firm:
- The Firm, a criminal gang active in the East End of London, once run by the Kray twins
- The British Royal Family, allegedly referred to as the "the Firm" by family members
- Secret Intelligence Service (SIS or MI6), one of the United Kingdom intelligence agencies
- McKinsey & Company, a large multinational management consulting firm
- Firmaet, an anti-communist private intelligence agency in Demark run by former Danish resistance movement leader Arne Sejr
Music and popular culture
- The Firm (EastEnders), a fictional organisation in the British TV series, EastEnders
- The Firm
(novel), a 1991 novel by John Grisham
- The Firm (film), a 1993 movie based on the book
- The Firm (1988 film), a British TV movie starring Gary Oldman
- The Firm (band), a British rock group formed in 1984 by Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers
- The Firm (group), a hip-hop music supergroup that released one album in 1997
- The Firm (Star Trekkin'), a music act that produced the 1987 UK #1 hit "Star Trekkin'"
- The Firm (pop group), a London-based pop group
- The F.I.R.M., a fictional organization in the TV series Airwolf
- The Firm (TV series), a 2007 Malaysian corporate reality television programme.
- The Firm, Inc., a Beverly Hills-based talent management company headed by Jeff Kwatinetz
firm in German: The Firm
firm in French: The Firm
firm in Dutch: The Firm
firm in Polish: The Firm
firm in Russian: Фирма
Aktiengesellschaft, CIA, Central Intelligence Agency, Christian, abiding, accepted, adamant, adamantine, agency, airtight, aktiebolag, anchored, anneal, approved, at a standstill, atelier, authentic, authoritative, balance, balanced, ballast, barbershop, beauty parlor, beauty shop, bench, body corporate, bonded, bristling, bulky, business, business establishment, butcher shop, calcify, calculable, callous, canonical, cartel, case harden, cast-iron, cemented, certain, chamber of commerce, changeless, close, close-knit, close-textured, close-woven, combine, commercial enterprise, compact, compacted, compagnie, company, compressed, concentrated, concern, concrete, condensed, congested, conglomerate, conglomerate corporation, consistent, consolidate, consolidated, consolidating company, consortium, constant, continuing, conventional, cool, copartnership, cornify, corporate body, corporation, correct, counterbalance, crammed, crammed full, crawling, crowded, customary, decided, decisive, definite, dense, dependable, desk, determine, determined, devoted, diversified corporation, dogged, dour, durable, dustproof, dusttight, enduring, enterprise, establish, established, establishment, evangelical, exact, explicit, facility, fail-safe, faithful, faithworthy, fast, fastened, fiducial, firm as Gibraltar, firm up, firmly, fixed, fixedly, flat, flinty, fossilize, freeze, frozen, full, fundamentalist, gasproof, gastight, glued, gluey, going, grim, guaranteed, hard, hard-core, harden, harmless, heavy, hermetic, hermetically sealed, hidebound, hold, holding company, house, immobile, immobilize, immotile, immotive, immovable, immutable, impenetrable, impermeable, imperturbable, implacable, impliable, in equilibrium, indurate, industry, inelastic, inexorable, inflexible, infrangible, installation, institution, intact, intransigent, invincible, inviolate, invulnerable, iron, ironbound, ironclad, ironhanded, irreconcilable, irremovable, jam-packed, jammed, joint-stock association, joint-stock company, keep, lapidify, lasting, lightproof, lighttight, literal, lithify, loft, loyal, made of iron, marble-constant, massive, moored, muscle-bound, nail down, never-failing, nonporous, obdurate, obstinate, of the faith, oilproof, oiltight, operating company, organization, orthodox, orthodoxical, ossify, outfit, packed, parlor, partnership, pat, permanent, perpetual, persistent, petrify, pin down, plunderbund, pokerlike, pool, populous, positive, predictable, prevailing, procrustean, proper, proprietorship, public utility, purist, puristic, puritan, puritanic, quiescent, rainproof, raintight, ramrodlike, received, relentless, reliable, remaining, renitent, resolute, resolve, resolved, retain, right, rigid, rigorist, rigoristic, rigorous, riskless, rock-ribbed, rockbound, rodlike, rugged, scriptural, sealed, secure, serried, set, set on, set up, set upon, settle down, settled, shop, shut fast, smokeproof, smoketight, snug, solid, solidify, solidly, sot, sound, specific, stabilitate, stabilize, stable, standard, standpat, starched, starchy, stated, static, stationary, staunch, staying, steadfast, steadfastly, steady, steel, steely, stern, stick, stiff, stiff as buckram, stipulated, stock company, stormproof, stormtight, stout, straightlaced, straitlaced, strict, strong, stubborn, stuck, studio, sturdy, substantial, sure, surefire, sustained, swarming, sweatshop, syndicate, taped, taut, teeming, temper, tenacious, tense, textual, thick, thick-growing, thickset, tight, tightly, torpid, tough, toughen, trade association, traditional, traditionalistic, transfix, true, true-blue, trust, trustworthy, trusty, unaffected, unalterable, unaltered, unbending, unbreakable, unchangeable, unchanged, unchanging, unchecked, uncompromising, undangerous, undeflectable, undestroyed, undeviating, unfading, unfailing, unfaltering, unflappable, unflinching, ungiving, unhazardous, unmovable, unmoved, unmoving, unperilous, unprecarious, unqualified, unrelaxed, unrelenting, unrisky, unshakable, unshakeable, unshaken, unshifting, unswerving, unvaried, unvarying, unwavering, unyielding, utility, virgate, viscid, viscose, viscous, vitrify, warranteed, water-repellant, waterproof, watertight, wedged, well-balanced, well-built, well-constructed, well-founded, well-grounded, well-made, windproof, windtight, without nerves, work site, work space, workbench, workhouse, working space, workplace, workroom, workshop, worktable